Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Two Sides To Every Story--at least

Wow, what a day or more accurately, last few days! Let's start with Wednesday and work backwards. Sorry, this day is just a blur--up at 5:45am to get a beautiful volunteer to out-patient surgery. She's okay! I'll remember to check on her before I turn in. It's raining and gray and I feel--well blue. I'm one of those people who come alive with sunshine although gray is comforting sometimes.

Yesterday was move, move, move--absolutely non-stop. I thought I had missed Gina. Gina's a single mom I've known since I came to 31st Street. She's come a long way in her sobriety--9 months tomorrow. That coincides with the birth of baby G. her lifeline. God is her anchor but baby G. changed Gina--focused her, gave her a reason for living clean. God keeps Gina grounded. Enough rambling, except I must say that Gina is intense and talented and nice looking. Gina lost her mother when she was just a teen. Maybe one day I'll ask if she will allow me to post the poem she wrote when mother was dying. Her road to sobriety is paved with hard knocks and obstacles and that's why I pick this single mom up from her server job once a week, take her to pick up baby G. and then to the northeast to the big pink trimmed house for her meeting. It takes guts! I was a single mom too.

Well, I'm sitting in the car at the bus stop waiting for Gina to come out of the nursery with baby G. I'm watching with interest what I think is a drug deal--maybe a dozen blocks from 31st. Two young men--one a school boy in uniform and a SUV the older sticks his head in for a few seconds and the SUV pulls up and parks. The school boy gets in and suddenly this kid on a bike comes whizzing through the intersection and thump--the bike lands thirty feet down the street and the kid in the middle of the street and people coming from nowhere. I jump out of the car and tell this woman to get the kid down on the pavement and another to call 911. Instinctively, kneeling, I begin to pray for the kid. I feel his heart beating fast and then begin to slow. I believe he will be alright. The emergency crews arrive and police take reports. I wonder if I should say I saw the accident--the driver is shaken. Gina says maybe I should, maybe I was there for such a time so I can tell the police I saw what happened. When finished, the officer says, "Everybody else says the driver sped up when he saw the kid. You're the only one who has a different story and I believe you." Gina says we never know why but I know that there are usually two sides or more to every and that truth lies, most likely, somewhere in the middle. I hope the kid is okay--I believe he is.

No comments: