Sunday, October 25, 2009

I'M BACK!

I've been away from the blog for months; but I've not been away from 31st Street for more than a weekend. Did I tell you that I love being on 31st Street. It is dynamic--moving, changing constantly. As sure as autumn follows summer, 31st Street, at least some segments, are changing from a blighted, trash strewn, drug infested place to what I foresee as a well-watered garden. Oh, there is only so much one can do with buildings that are old and long neglected; but fixing up is happening too. Most impressively, the change is happening slowly in the hearts and attitudes of the people. The seeds of change are taking root s l o w l y. I don't know if you remember my telling you about the shell of a building that used to be the Walt Disney studio on 31st Street, but something magical happened this summer. The open windows were boarded up and some group painted the boards bright white and painted cartoon characters on the boards. Believe me, that group gave dignity to that old building where Walt entertained a little mouse and the seed for ever popular Mickey Mouse was planted.

Shane Evans, our good neighbor at Dream Studio, and one whom I call my son, planted a dream on 31st Street about 3-4 years ago. Maybe, one day it will be as great as Disney. Many weekends, Shane host talented musicans and poets at his studio for audiences ranging from parents with children to seniors--good, clean entertainment. How's that for a street one might have been reluctant to walk after dark a few years ago. He's a special young man!

Speaking of walking, I met a very young woman 6 years ago on 31st. She was walking several feet in front of a young man. I stopped the man to tell him I was new in the neighborhood and extended an invitation to church. He listened and called for the woman to join him. She came back but was visably displeased. Later she told me, "I had a mouth full of crack and he wanted me to meet some preacher; I couldn't even talk." She lived on the street, sometimes slept on the Holy Family House porch and walked that customary path around the blocks of 31st and Linwood and I kept talking and planting seed until she came into the Emancipation Station and a changed life. She, intelligent, entrepenurial, now at home and reconciled to family, is volunteering 5 days a week. Those seeds have taken root.

Oh, that well-watered garden is a dream and sometimes seems as improbable as seeing the Disney Studio renovated and hosting tourist from far away places; but when I see Dream Studio rise from the dust of a vacant, unattractive place to host beautiful people and hear a once crack filled mouth espouse dreams of what the future will look like, I know change is coming to 31st Street as sure as autumn follows summer in beautiful Kansas City, Missouri.

No comments: